27 August 2017 Drone over Nome Alaska!

Comments

Nichole L
Drones

How long did it take Jennifer to go through the pre-flight checks between the drone and her tablet?

Re: Nichole L commented on 27 August 2017 Drone over Nome...

Hi Nichole-great question.  It took about 10-15 minutes for the pre-check, and what she was also doing was calibrating it so that it would "know" where it was.  It's really neat.  Now of course....I want a drone too!
take care
Lisa

Sent: 9/12/2017 1:54 PM
Subject: Re: Nichole L commented on 27 August 2017 Drone over Nome Alaska!

(((

Corrina C
Corrina C, Springs School, Seff, Drones

Did you fly the drone? Have you ever flown a drone before?

Re: Corrina C commented on 27 August 2017 Drone over Nome...

Hi Corrina-I did not fly the drone as it's pretty tricky and her drone is expensive.  But I'm learning a lot by watching her
and it's really fun to help her with it!  But....I think I'm going to get one of my own when I get home!
take care,
Lisa

Sent: 9/12/2017 2:17 PM
Subject: Re: Corrina C commented on 27 August 2017 Drone over Nome Alaska!

Corrina C
Corrina C, Springs School, Seff, Drones

We should fly the drone in class! Hope you are having fun.

Re: Corrina C commented on 27 August 2017 Drone over Nome...

Hi Corrina!
That would be fun....but they're a little trick so I think I had better practice first!
Lisa

Sent: 9/13/2017 1:32 PM
Subject: Re: Corrina C commented on 27 August 2017 Drone over Nome Alaska!

Sarah Morgan
drones

When you fly a drone do you need an FAA?

Re: Sarah Morgan commented on 27 August 2017 Drone over Nome...

Hi Sarah-you do have to register it.  I'll know more when I get home!
Lisa

Sent: 9/13/2017 6:26 PM
Subject: Re: Sarah Morgan commented on 27 August 2017 Drone over Nome Alaska!

Brooke Will
Guest's picture
Brooke will Springs School Pannnizzo Anything new?

Did you see anything new?

Re: Brooke Will commented on 27 August 2017 Drone over Nome...

Hi Brooke, yes it's a very different trip then when I was up here in 2012.  I've never seen Arctic cod, and we're catching a lot!  Also, the aurora was much more spectacular than what I've seen in the past.  The ship is also something new.  When I saw it pull up to the dock for us to board, I was in awe!!
lots to see on the sea!
Lisa

Sent: 9/14/2017 6:49 AM
Subject: Re: Brooke Will commented on 27 August 2017 Drone over Nome Alaska!

(((

Rosa P.
Up In The Sky! Is It A Bird? It’s A Plane? No, It’s Jennifer’s D

Mrs. Seff, you said you lived "for four summers on an Alden design, center cockpit sailboat called Pegasus" why did you live there?

Re: Rosa P. commented on 27 August 2017 Drone over Nome Alaska!

Hi Rosa! I am from Cape Cod and after college returned. I worked as a conservation agent for the Town of Mashpee, and then as a biologist and planner for the Cape Cod Commission.  I grew up on boats and loved being on the water, and didn't have enough money for my own house, so I bought a wonderful wooden sailboat named Pegasus!  I lived on her for 7 years.
Take care Rosa and see you soon!
Lisa

Sent: 9/14/2017 3:58 PM
Subject: Re: Rosa P. commented on 27 August 2017 Drone over Nome Alaska!

(((

Kimberly B.
Kimberly B, Springs School, Seff, Drones

How high can the drone fly? and how long can it stay in the air?

Re: Kimberly B. commented on 27 August 2017 Drone over Nome...

Hi Kimberly! Temperature and altitude both impact the length of how long the drone can fly.  I'd say the average was about 20 minutes.  It's nice
to finish with extra battery time, rather than not enough!
take care,
lisa

Sent: 9/14/2017 6:26 PM
Subject: Re: Kimberly B. commented on 27 August 2017 Drone over Nome Alaska!

Re: Kimberly B. commented on 27 August 2017 Drone over Nome...

Whoops! and, they kept them 400 feet or lower.  FAA rules apply...I think the maximum they are supposed to go is 500 feet.

Sent: 9/14/2017 6:26 PM
Subject: Re: Kimberly B. commented on 27 August 2017 Drone over Nome Alaska!

Nora C
Nora C Springs School Seff Flying the Drone

Have you ever flown a drone before or was this your first time? If it was your first time, was it hard for you to control it the right way or were you a natural and just figured it out easily?

Re: Nora C commented on 27 August 2017 Drone over Nome Alaska!

Hi Nora-I actually didn't fly it, I helped her calibrate it, and launch and catch it when landing.  For that I had to wear sun glasses and thin gloves in case a blade hit me.  The drone Jennifer was using is expensive, and we were on a moving ship, made of steel (which can throw the drone's location system off!) so I didn't think it was the best place to learn how to fly it! However I learned a lot and am excited to go buy one of my own when I get back to Springs!  Jennifer suggested buying the $50 models first, as they're harder to fly than the expensive ones.  Then, once you've mastered the small drones, move up to the more complex, expensive models that can fly longer distances and have more bells and whistles!
take care, great question,
Lisa

Sent: 9/14/2017 7:02 PM
Subject: Re: Nora C commented on 27 August 2017 Drone over Nome Alaska!

(((

Michael M
Drones

Hi Mrs. Seff, I was wondering, how do you calibrate a drone before lift-off? Looks really cool! Thanks for your response!

Re: Michael M commented on 27 August 2017 Drone over Nome...

Hi Michael! Yes, the drones are wild! And, I want one!!!
So you have to calibrate it so that the magetometer (the drones compass) is set.  Since Earth's magnetic field changes where ever you are, when you move the drone a large distance you need to reset its compass so it knows where it is.

Jennifer did the work on her controller, but she had me stand with it, then complete a 360 degree turn still holding it, then invert it 90 degrees, and if the calibration went well, it would tell her it was all set.  Have you ever seen a teacher calibrate the Smart Boards?  Where they touch specific locations on the whiteboard to sort of "tell" the Smartboard computer where the board is?  It's a little similar, but in the case of the drone, we're talking about the cardinal directions of a compass.

Pretty neat!
see you soon, say hello to James!
Lisa

Sent: 9/16/2017 12:34 PM
Subject: Re: Michael M commented on 27 August 2017 Drone over Nome Alaska!

((( R

Jaye D.
Guest's picture
Jaye D. Springs School. Seff. Rules.

Are there any rules on drone flying? Can the drone not fly over certain areas?

Re: Jaye D. commented on 27 August 2017 Drone over Nome Alaska!

Hi Jaye! Yes, you are supposed to register with the FAA, and not fly over 400 feet.
see you in a week!
Lisa

Sent: 9/18/2017 1:53 PM
Subject: Re: Jaye D. commented on 27 August 2017 Drone over Nome Alaska!

Daniel P
Daniel P Springs School O'Reilly Drone Battery Life

Dear Mrs. Seff, How long was the drone being flown for? Does the drone have a type of battery life? If it does have a battery life, how long does it last?

Re: Daniel P commented on 27 August 2017 Drone over Nome Alaska!

The drones were typically flown for about 20 minutes.  The battery life is dependent on the air temperature and the altitude that it's flown.
see you in a week!
Lisa

Sent: 9/18/2017 2:09 PM
Subject: Re: Daniel P commented on 27 August 2017 Drone over Nome Alaska!

Mark D
Springs School Seff

How hard was it to fly the drone?

Re: Mark D commented on 27 August 2017 Drone over Nome Alaska!

Hi Mark-I didn't actually fly the drone as i never have before...and decided it's probably better to now
fly my first one over the ocean, on a moving ship, with a $2000 drone that belongs to someone else!
Jennifer suggested flying the $50 ones first, as they're actually harder to fly.  She said that once you master a small one, the more expensive ones
are easier.
see you in a week!
Lisa

Sent: 9/18/2017 4:07 PM
Subject: Re: Mark D commented on 27 August 2017 Drone over Nome Alaska!

Anthony G
Anthony G Lisa Drone

What drone did you fly?

Kaylynn C.
Kaylynn C., Springs School Seff, Drone

Did you get a chance to control the drone?

David polkowski
Guest's picture
David P. Springs School Seff. Did you fly the drone?

Mrs. Seff when you were at the beach did you have the chance to operate the drone? Did you like it?

James B.
james B Springs School Seff Drones

How long is the battery life of the drone?

JDF
JDelFavero

When did you first learn to fly a drone if you did where did you learn to do so?

Upwelling and Ecology in the Beaufort Sea

Subscribe to the Upwelling and Ecology in the Beaufort Sea journals using the form below.

Email: