Submitted by Anonymous on Thu, 07/14/2011 - 23:33

Hi Mark-

How super cool that you are on Svalbard. A good friend of mine is 1/2 Norwegian and from Svalbard! She has been there to visit in the winter and entertained us with some amazing stories.

So what have you seen so far? We (Max, Karolina and I) are very interested to know. We are still in Sweden right now- it is light here at night, but not as light I am sure as it is where you are so far north.

Karolina is also wondering how you are sleeping. Do you sleep in tents?

We wish you a great experience !!!

Meg

Mark Goldner

Hi Meg! Great to hear from you. We're just getting set up so far. We spent a few days in Longyearbyen which included safety training for doing field research in the Arctic, then we flew up to Ny Ă…lesund yesterday. The accommodations here are quite nice. The science base is set up to make the living arrangements as comfortable as possible, so the scientists can focus on the science. So we sleep in simple yet comfortable rooms, dormitory style.
Say hi to family!
- Mark

Anonymous

Hi, Mr. Goldner its Sophia Giannarikas and During the first time I have been on your jounal entries I have seen alot of things in my mind such as:polar bears sitting on ice, seals being so very inocent. And much more especialy you shoting guns with your fellow partners! Great work, Mr. Goldner keep it up and survive!

Mark Goldner

Well, we haven't seen any polar bears or seals... it's actually unlikely that I will see any polar bears, at least up close. Hopefully we will see some seals. Tomorrow we go out on the water for the first time so hopefully I'll see some seals then.