It was interesting to watch your video of the guys doing the Pb-210 cores. We had a different way of collecting cores in Antarctica, but the same basic idea (we just did more at at time). I was curious about how they collected their samples. Our scientists scraped off the outside 1cm of the core because it was contaminated as it was pushed up in the plastic tube. Basically lower layers would pick up the Pb-210 of higher layers and it would create a problem. In your video, it seems like they're just slicing it in half and storing it in bags. Maybe that contamination isn't noticeably affecting their data? Maybe they're collecting mud for a different purpose? Anyways I am just curious about their process!

Amber

Deanna Wheeler

Hi Amber-Yes, the scientist in the video did scrape the edges off because they were looking for parts per billion at times--very clean conditions were needed. We also did a gravity core where the containation was not an issue.
Thanks for asking--
Deanna

Amber Lancaster

It's cool to know that they do it the same way. Science is so meticulous everywhere. :) I'm enjoying reading about your adventures and watching all your fabulous movies. Keep up the great work!