I think the process of working out the best methodology for soil respiration will be interesting to follow, and helpful for my students to see the process of science. I will be having my 10th grade biology students following and posting some questions! I wonder, do you have to clear the snow completely down to the ground to get measurements with the LI-COR? Wow, you have a quick turnaround...have a great trip!

Tom Lane

Thanks, I've been so busy I've scarcely had time to think the actual on site work...That's great your biology students will be following progress and will have some questions, I look forward to having some answers:) I hope. Yes, the measurement chambers (4" PVC pipe) are about 6" in the ground so to use the LI-COR you have to reach down in the snow to the chambers. Now, snow fences have been employed to raise the level of snow in certain areas on the site. We're looking then also at the insulative ability of snow to potentially warm the soil underneath and raise microbial respiration. Once we transition from winter to summer we have a "big" shovelfest (about a week) of daily shoveling to bring the level of the snow behind the snow fences down to the "norm" so as to minimize error for summer measurements.Tom
Sent from my iPad