Submitted by Anonymous on Mon, 04/29/2013 - 18:24

Hello! My name it's Lourdes Rodriguez i am currently a junior at albizu campos high school which it's located in Chicago, IL. I had been reading your journals and video, They are very exiting to read and watch. I been curious about what does your family think about your work and also if it's hard for you to adapt to a cold environment?.

Tom Lane

Hi Lourdes, Thanks for the questions.Regarding my family...they were excited that I was chosen as a PolarTREC teacher and have had the opportunity to work with Elizabeth Webb, one of the researchers here in Healy. I had wanted this experience for a while and they've been very supportive. We stay in touch via facebook, email and phone. I am looking forward to seeing them next week.
I grew up in Chugiak, AK. which is just north of Anchorage and went to University of Alaska-Fairbanks for my undergraduate degree. It hasn't been so much adapting to the cold as it has been getting used to it again. I've found having the right clothes on is pretty important. A couple weeks ago during shovel week it was fortunate that I was working hard. Even then, as soon as I stopped shoveling my fingers, face and toes would start freezing. It was probably at least -30F with the wind much of those days.