Hi Mark, Looks amazingly beautiful up there...and hooray for your plunge! Very refreshing. Glad to see you seem to be getting a lot out of it and enjoying it so much. What has surprised you the most? Or intrigued you? The fjords must be gorgeous. The fjords I was fortunate enough to travel through were quite literally breathtaking. Stay warm and keep having fun. Paula

Mark Goldner

Hi Paula! Thanks for following along. It's great to hear from you. Breathtaking also describes the scenery here. Each day I sort of pinch myself and think "am I really here in this most beautiful place?"I've been amazed by seeing firsthand the power of the ice to shape the landscape. I have, of course, read all about glacial features like moraines, but to see them up close, recently formed, drives home what glaciers can do to the rock underneath. Also seeing icebergs calving daily is awesome. Finally, seeing firsthand the dramatic recession of glaciers makes it painfully clear what global warming is doing to the ice up here.
- Mark

Anonymous

Hi Mark,I always felt so torn about hearing and watching a glacier calve. It was pretty breathtaking, powerful, and intense. My first thought was always "I hear thunder." On the other hand it's a painful reminder of what is happening. Sorry I missed your webinar. Believe it or not, I'm back at work. The students pile in on Monday. Enjoy!!! As I know you are. And don't worry. No matter how many times you pinch yourself, you really are there. I know.
Paula