Submitted by Anonymous on Thu, 11/29/2012 - 14:50

Hi Jacquelyn, my name is Angela from St. Mark Catholic School. I was wondering just how cold it is where you are staying in Alaska and what you are looking forward to most in your research while your in Alaska.

Jacquelyn Hams

Hi Angela,I am in Antarctica and it is actually not as cold as it was in 2008. The temperature has been around 10 degrees F and not that windy so I am not uncomfortable. I am also walking a lot which helps to keep me warm - especially my toes.
I am looking forward to learning more about the connection between Antarctica and Mars and how studying Antarctica will provide a clue to where there might be life on Mars.

Anonymous

Hi this is Angela again, I am sorry for not being totally familiar with your expedition before. I have a new question though. When you use the Ground Penetrating Radar what procedure do you have to go through, or how does it work, to find the presence, movement, and extent of buried glacial ice? Also from the looks of some of the pictures it doesn't look like there is any plants whatsoever that you see when you are in the Dry Valleys, is there?

Jacquelyn Hams

AngelaI hope you are still following me and receive this response. I apologize for the late response but we have had weather delays. I will be posting a journal on ground penetrating radar, but briefly Ground Penetrating Radar can collect information on the subsurface without disturbing it using a high frequency signal such as a radio wave or microwave signal. This signal will travel through the ground until the consistency of the earth changes, so determining where the ice is located can be interpretive. Please check again for the journal which will be posted soon.
Angela you are correct that there are no plants where I have been in the Dry Valleys. However plants have been found in some areas of the Dry Valleys.