Now Accepting Applications to Host Educators in 2020-2021
Thank you for your interest in hosting an educator on your field research project. Your commitment to linking polar research with education is an important contribution to both the research and education communities and the goals of the National Science Foundation (NSF). PolarTREC will use the information you provide in your application to select research projects and educators that match in interest and availability. If your project is selected, you will be asked to review 5-10 educator applications and interview the top applicants for your project. We anticipate interviews being conducted in November-December 2019 with final matches being made before January 2020.
If you are interested in hosting an educator, we ask that you contact PolarTREC Program Managers first at info [at] polartrec.com to discuss your research project. After this, we will ask you to submit the online application.
An informational webinar will be held on Wednesday, 11 September 2019 at 1:00 PM AKDT (11 AM HST, 2 PM PDT, 3 PM MDT, 4 PM CDT, 5 PM EDT) for teachers, informal science educators, and researchers. Register here.
Before you start the application, please review the following PolarTREC program documentation:
- Do not submit the Word document! Use this to type your answers and cut and paste them into the online form below. The webform doesn't save answers.
- If you cannot access or have trouble with the online application, please contact info [at] polartrec.com for further instructions.
- Answer each question as thoroughly as possible. We will contact you if additional information is needed.
- If you are applying to work exclusively with an educator you already know, please read this additional information and jointly complete the Supplementary Questions for Preexisting Educator-Researcher Teams
- We will be selecting informal science educators (e.g. educators that work in museums, science/nature centers, after-school programs) as well as formal classroom teachers placed in grades 6-12. We will not be accepting applications from PolarTREC alumni teachers.
We prefer that applicants already have secured funding for their research project. However, if your request for funding is pending you can still apply to host an educator. If this is your case, please contact the PolarTREC Project Managers at info [at] polartrec.com to discuss your individual situation.
If you don't know about your project's funding, but are interested in applying to host an educator, please contact the PolarTREC Project Managers (info [at] polartrec.com) to discuss your individual situation.