PolarConnect Frequently Asked Questions
The funding for Live from IPY! and the International Polar Year ended in 2009. PolarConnect is the same as Live from IPY!, just funded through a new grant from the National Science Foundation.
Events are scheduled based primarily on the school schedule of the teacher in the field, so that their students back home can participate in the whole event. Schedules are also based on the research schedule, dates and times of transport between sites, time zones, and more!
All events are advertised as soon as they are scheduled using the Polar Education E-Mail List, which you can subscribe for here.
Because we are connecting with teachers and scientists in the field through PolarTREC, the topics are always changing and they vary greatly. When a new event is announced we try to tell you a little about the science taking place, and send you a link to the teachers journal so you can read about the work being done. However, live events don't just talk about science, they also often include life in the field, careers, people of the polar regions, and more.
How to Participate
No, as a participant you will not need to download any applications for Adobe Connect events. If you are a presenter, ARCUS will give you instructions on how to present. However, we encourage you to check out the room or attend another event to make sure your system is ready to go before the event time. You may need approval from your school systems administrator to access Adobe Connect webinars.
Yes! You can join by calling in on a toll free number with a telephone and listening to the audio portion of the call that way. If you would like to see the slides, you will have to email info [at] polartrec.com to get them sent to you so that you can follow along.
Yes, this is just fine and you will not disrupt the event by doing so. You can access the archive shortly after the event to listen to the parts you missed.
If you are using the phone for the conference call audio, press * 6 to mute/* 6 to unmute. If you are using VOIP (talking through your computer microphone), you will always be muted unless you the host opens your microphone.
Adobe Connect has a video feature, but chances are, there is no video for the event you are participating in. Most of the time we are connecting with presenters in very remote locations with limited Internet connections, and video is not possible. Unfortunately, this is a common misconception that people sometimes have of the live events.
When configuring your system, go through all the necessary steps. At the time of presentation, try closing the Adobe Connect window and retracing your steps and coming back into the room.
If you are using both the phone and computer, the computer must be muted. The echo or feedback should go away.
Try the following:
1. Enter the webinar as a Guest user by entering in your First and Last Name in the Guest field.
2. Click the Help link on the webinar Login page. This takes you to the “Test Meeting Connection” Adobe Connect page where you can verify that your computer meets all necessary requirements. If you do not pass the test you will be given instructions for what you need to do.
3. Make sure popup blocking software is not blocking your meeting window.
4. You may be using a proxy server. To resolve this in Internet Explorer, select Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab. Then enable the setting Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections. After doing this, clear your cookies, close all browser windows and attempt to re-enter the webinar.
Your school, university, or institution may have a firewall or may be blocking your access to the site. If this is the case, participants must work with their systems administrator to allow access to this site.
If you have a low bandwidth connection, you may have a slight delay in the slides coming up. If it is a big problem, e-mail info [at] polartrec.com and we may be able to send you a PDF of the slides.
- Verify that your computer speakers are on and your computer’s volume is at an audible level.
- Check to see if the webinar host has provided teleconference information. If this is the case, you need to dial in via telephone to hear meeting audio.
Contact ARCUS at 907-474-1600 or email info [at] polartrec.com.