Hey Anne Marie,

I'm glad that you're well on your way!! However, I do have to ask a couple of questions about the dunk tank. 1) How disorienting is it? 2) How did you keep from panicking to be able to release your harness and exit the simulator? (Just watching your video spikes my blood pressure!) And lastly, do you know what type of helo will be on the Oden?

Stay safe and ENJOY!!!

Best! Michele

Anne Marie Wotkyns

Hi Michele,The dunk tank training was more challenging than I thought it would be. They did begin with very simple exercises, just lowering the simulator into the water and raising it again, then unharnessing and exiting out open windows without going upside down, then unharnessing and pushing open the doors and windows without flipping, then flipping and exiting with no doors or windows, etc... So we had several practice trials before doing the whole flipping, popping out windows and doors, unharnessing, and exiting. There were also rescue divers all around who would help put your hands on the handles or help you unclip if you needed.
But, yes, it was disorienting once you were upside down. Your body is still strapped in , but your legs start to float all over, so the handle by your left knee is no longer by your left knee! And you really can't see anything. My heart was pounding and it seemed like I was under forever, even though it really wasn't very long. I just had to keep reminding myself of the steps to take, because you have to open the doors and windows before you unharness. A few times I was so excited that I started to try to swim out as soon as I popped the windows, then realized I was still harnessed in!It was challenging for me, and I'm a good swimmer, and certified diver. I can't imagine how the two non-swimmers in our training group did it!
We have two helicopter pilots on board the Oden, Nils and Sven. The helicopter is a Eurocopter AS 350 (A Star 350) which holds 5 passengers. It is currently strapped down on the helo deck with no rotors on it. We should be at the edge of the ice by Monday night, so be midweek she sould get to fly! Cheers! AM