Are there any phrases the team members have been learning to communication with the Chileans? This question is for Anna, Claire, or Luke. Thanks!

Claire Hacker

Hi Sarah,Thanks for your interest in everything we're doing! As far as language goes, Juan, Anna, and I all speak Spanish. Juan speaks it much better than we do, of course, but Anna and I are both in Spanish level 5 at our school and can speak moderately well. Luke, on the other hand, takes French at school, so he has a little more catching up to do. So far we haven't really worked on the language issue as a team, but I think our 30 hours of travel time could include some tutoring for Luke (and more practice for Anna and I)!
Claire (and Anna, Luke, and Juan)

Sarah Crowley

Awesome Claire, Thanks for answering my question. Luke - Good luck with the language! I know when traveling sometimes I can pick up a few phrases so, that will be helpful. Do you think you have warm enough clothes for the expedition? What is one item that you will not leave home without?
Anna - Is there one thing you are sure to bring with you as well?

Luke Maillefer

Luke- Thanks for the encouragement, the fact that I know barely any Spanish is slightly intimidating! I did just pick up a Spanish pocket book that will hopefully teach me what I need to know. Actually when it comes to clothes I feel pretty prepared, especially due to the fact that it will be warmer in Antarctica than in Madison. For me the most important item to bring will be my camera so that I can document the trip and share videos and pictures with my community!

Anna Caldwell-…

I know I won't leave home without my trusty Spanish-Korean dictionary and as many pairs of wool socks as I can carry. You never know when both of these will come in handy.