Submitted by Anonymous on Tue, 11/23/2010 - 05:22

Hey Ms Shirey!

We've got the link for you blog for the yearbook now! Looks like nothing I've ever seen before down there, quite the experience. Is it what you expected so far?

-Brigitte

Katey Shirey

Hi Brigitte!So far the biggest surprise I'm having is how friendly and collegial everyone is down here. Every table in the galley is a standing invitation to meet new people. And every day, evening and night there is something fun going on that you're invited to. All of the scientists welcome you into their work places to learn about what they're doing.
I think the community works well here because of the shared respect for everyone's roles. Everyone here is here for a reason and is important towards the overall goal of getting the research done well, efficiently, and safely. I think John Carlstrom in his sunday night science presentation summed it up well: one of the reasons the 10-m telescope had to be here at the pole was because the support is so excellent-the community just gets things done and in a friendly way.
Overall the group is very social too! There is swing dancing, and yoga, and of course BINGO. There are movie nights (sci-fi, chick-flick, etc.), crafts shows and on and on. The people here come back year after year and look forward to seeing all their friends down here. They stay up extra late to say hi to people coming in off of planes, or just to say hi to a different shift headed out to work. It's a surprise that everyone is so friendly! I guess I expected it to feel more like an industrial machine.
Thanks for your question, Brigitte. See you in a month!
-Ms. Shirey

Katey Shirey

Hi Brigitte!So far the biggest surprise I'm having is how friendly and collegial everyone is down here. Every table in the galley is a standing invitation to meet new people. And every day, evening and night there is something fun going on that you're invited to. All of the scientists welcome you into their work places to learn about what they're doing.
I think the community works well here because of the shared respect for everyone's roles. Everyone here is here for a reason and is important towards the overall goal of getting the research done well, efficiently, and safely. I think John Carlstrom in his sunday night science presentation summed it up well: one of the reasons the 10-m telescope had to be here at the pole was because the support is so excellent-the community just gets things done and in a friendly way.
Overall the group is very social too! There is swing dancing, and yoga, and of course BINGO. There are movie nights (sci-fi, chick-flick, etc.), crafts shows and on and on. The people here come back year after year and look forward to seeing all their friends down here. They stay up extra late to say hi to people coming in off of planes, or just to say hi to a different shift headed out to work. It's a surprise that everyone is so friendly! I guess I expected it to feel more like an industrial machine.
Thanks for your question, Brigitte. See you in a month!
-Ms. Shirey

Anonymous

Ms. Shirey,Wow! Haha, that sounds like a lot of fun! Who knew legitimate scientists went swing dancing and had movie nights at the South Pole? It sounds like you are really enjoying yourself, and I'm glad. What a great environment to be in for a such an intense project. I see Mr. Revere has stepped in for you here-- that worked out quite well with him retiring, I guess. Every time I walk pass your room delivering a hall pass I think of you and hope you are doing well. Sounds like it! How is the project going? I don't speak scientist very well, so I don't really know what to ask. Any cool discoveries so far that I would understand?
-Brigitte