Well, here's something you can ask the doctors - the South Pole is high up, and also the atmospheric pressure there is lower than in North America - so, adding these two factors together, how high a mountain in North America would you have to climb to experience the partial pressure of O2 that you're experiencing now?

The highest I've ever been is 14,000 feet. I've done light carpentry work at 12,500 feet and believe me when I stand up suddenly at that altitude I get all woozy. when I put down a tool, it takes me a minute to figure out where I've put it. Everything just takes longer, takes more effort, and I make dumb mistakes.

Are these the conditions under which you're working? Mike Wing

Katey Shirey

Our real alititude here at pole is 9,300 ft. But the pressure here recently has been around 670 mb and below. That means that the equivalent altitude based on atmospheric pressure is roughly 10,671 ft, and it was 11,000 ft earlier this week!Yes, it altitude makes me feel groggy and out of sorts at times. I think the best thing to do, even well after you're off the altitude meds that they give you, is to drink a ton of water. Water, the elixir of life, seems to really help me regain my focus and feel more like myself.
I've never gotten dizzy, thank goodness, but I have felt short of breath, hot, and had a hard time focusing on work and objects. It's not pleasant!
Thanks for writing in again, Mike.
-Katey