Hi Heidi-

I have really enjoyed reading your journals -- excited to share them with my students, especially the video of the tube. What an unbelievable experience to be dry under the ice in Antarctica, a "please pinch me to make sure that I am really doing this" experience!?!?! Congrats on the banana run.

Since this is not your first time to Antarctica, has your experience or view point changed? Is it still as exciting as the first time?

Thanks for sharing your expedition,

Deanna

Heidi Roop

Deanna,Thanks for your note and the congrats! I certainly feel privileged to be back on the ice for a second time! I guess I am officially an ice sheet junkie now! Although there are many similarities to last year, I notice that I am absorbing different facets of life down here this season. My first trip was all about learning how to navigate living in a field camp on an ice sheet. Now that I know the ropes, I am able to appreciate and recognize more about the magnitude and importance of this ice core project. It is amazing to feel like I am part of something so important for the scientific community and community at large.
I am also enjoying the camp life more this season as I am more comfortable with my tasks at work and have a good system for managing my time. All is all, each day is a new adventure! It is so rewarding to continue to learn about this fascinating environment and contribute in a small way to such an important research project.
Thanks for following my adventure! I hope our paths cross again soon!
Cheers,
Heidi