Submitted by Anonymous on Fri, 12/09/2011 - 18:55

Hello again Ms. Brown,

I really enjoyed your December 6-7 entries about your trip to Cape Byrd. I love seeing penguins at places like Sea World and the zoo. Even when they are behind a wall of glass, penguins are so much fun to watch! I can’t imagine how overwhelming or surreal your visit must have been. Of course, your great pictures don’t come with the smell…but they make me so happy that I have to ask:

Did any of them dance like in “Happy Feet?” Did all those tuxedos make you feel underdressed? Do you think one of them would fit into a backpack? It would make a classy new school mascot...

On a more serious note: What kind of sound did they make? Did they seem frightened by the helicopter and people, or did they mostly ignore you? Could you walk among them? Did you feel any fear being so largely outnumbered?

I hope the weather clears for your helicopter trip to Cape Royds. Please consider that mascot-in-a-backpack idea…

Toby Ganz

p.s. I did not find a video link on the penguin journal. Maybe it didn’t attach?

Michelle Brown

Hi Toby,I am so glad you enjoyed the Adelie Penguin journals! The video link is:
http://youtu.be/byBSQ7IHwk0
It was amazing to be right near the penguins, and it did feel like I was
stepping into the film Happy Feet! The smell was pretty bad though--I
didn't imagine that!
The penguins made a lot of squaking noises, similar to chickens. If you
can get the video to work, you may be able to hear them! The helicopter
landed farther away from the rookery--I only noticed one or two penguins
off in the distance, until I walked closer. I did not feel afraid of the
penguins, although I made an effort not to approach or frighten them. I
did accidentally walk close to a Skua who was sitting on her eggs, and
she made a lot of noise and flapped her wings, which was rather scary!
Thank you for your great questions and it is so nice to know you are
reading!
Sincerely,
Michelle Brown