Hi Laura, I am so jealous that you are going to Greenland! I would love to go there! Last year, did it take you a long time to aclimatize to altitude at Summit? Did you get to visit NEEM last year? Thanks! Kristin

Laura Lukes

Hi Kristin!I did struggle a bit with adjusting to the altitude at Summit (over 10,000 ft). Altitude sickness is when your body is not getting enough oxygen (less oxygen molecules in the air at higher altitudes). It took me a day and some oxygen, but I learned quite a bit about altitude sickness. According to the medic, altitude sickness can hit anyone, anytime, no matter what fitness level they are, regardless of whether they have been ok or not at altitude previously. I've been hiking at higher altitudes before, so I was surprised to have any issues. I flew to Greenland from Hawaii (at sea level) last year, so that may have played a role.
The most important thing I learned from the medic was that you need to let someone know right away if you are having issues, so that you don't get to the point that you need to be airlifted out. He also recommended drinking plenty of water and eating cookies, which did seem to help. It may be the only time in your life you are *told* to eat cookies, so enjoy it!
Laura