Submitted by Anonymous on Sun, 12/02/2012 - 11:12

Hi Jacquelyn, I am Shireen from St. Mark Catholic School. In your blog you said that the Brown Skuas was waiting to raid the galley for food. What does it normally eat in the wild? Is it seeking human food because of the scarcity of its own food?

Jacquelyn Hams

Hi ShireenThe skuas have a reputation for being scavenger birds. I see them here at McMurdo near the seals. They typically prey off the young or injured pups.They have learned that another food source is available from the people who visit and work at the station. We are very careful not to leave garbage or food out in the open or uncovered.
What do you think would happen to them if they relied on people as opposed to their natural prey for food? What would happen if McMurdo did not operate for a year or two?

Anonymous

HI Jacquelyn, Thank you the response. I think that its a good idea that you don't leave garbage or food uncovered because if it becomes to easy for the skuas to get human food they will stop scavenging for food in the wild. Overtime they could become completely reliant on human food handouts and will lose the skill of feeding themselves. If McMurdo stops operating for a year or two and no humans are there, the skuas will starve to death because they don't know how to hunt for food.

Anonymous

HI Jacquelyn, Thank you the response. I think that its a good idea that you don't leave garbage or food uncovered because if it becomes to easy for the skuas to get human food they will stop scavenging for food in the wild. Overtime they could become completely reliant on human food handouts and will lose the skill of feeding themselves. If McMurdo stops operating for a year or two and no humans are there, the skuas will starve to death because they don't know how to hunt for food.