All the science equipment uses a lot of electricity. The electricity is divided into three subsystems or parts so no one part has to supply all the electricity itself. That way if one part stops working, there are still two other parts that can continue working.

The amount of electricity that flows is called ‘current’ and is measured in amperes or amps.

Age 0-9: The three parts of the electrical system supply 19, 25, and 17 amps. Add those numbers together to find the total amount of electricity that is flowing?

Age 10-13: Divide the voltage, 120, by the total amount of electricity flowing (from the first question) to find the effective resistance. Resistance is measured in ohms.

Age 11+: What is the total power consumed by the science gear on the plane? (Power = Voltage x Current)

Anonymous

Definitely thinking 7.32kW on for power consumption...-Robb

Anonymous

61 amps of electricity
1.9 ohms
Braden Sargent, age 9
(did addition in his head, but used a calculator to divide)
P.S. Sorry, didn't see this post first to reply to it so created our own. Don't know how to delete a post like I do on Blackboard :-).

Mark Buesing

Winners are Robb and Braden! Robb, I already have your address, but Braden, can you please e-mail me yours at mmbuesing@gmail.com? Thanks and nice job with the math (I used a calculator, too, to do the division).