There were a few moments today when I suspected if we just held on tight to the tent lines that the wind would allow the entire team to parasail over to Lake Bonney! Even though it was a relatively mild wind - at least by Antarctic standards, it was quite a challenge to get the tent covers (yep - that's plural... there are three cover layers!) put on the tent!

We started the day by assembling the frame for the tent cover, or "blanket" as it's called. We called the frame the ribcage because it looked quite a bit like a rack of ribs! The first several "ribs" were quite difficult to connect, but once we had a system going, we got into a groove.

487shilpacarriesribs.JPG
487shilpacarriesribs.JPG

Shilpa gathers some "ribs" (tent frame sections!) to the work area for assembly!

488firstrib.JPG
488firstrib.JPG

The first "rib" goes up!

489firstcontact.JPG
489firstcontact.JPG

One supporting arch in place; or is that the St. Louis Arch?

Laughing
Laughing

490bellyofbeast.JPG
490bellyofbeast.JPG

Looking down the "belly of the beast"! Can you see why we call it a "ribcage?"

491kristoffsecuresjoint.JPG
491kristoffsecuresjoint.JPG

Kristoff helps to secure the center connector for the frame.

492movingalong.JPG
492movingalong.JPG

Moving along! We're not quite in a groove yet, but we're getting there!

496lovebat.JPG
496lovebat.JPG

Our "persuassion stick" for when the pieces didn't want to join - we hit it with some "love"!

493tentframe.JPG
493tentframe.JPG

Now that's a tent frame!

494scale.JPG
494scale.JPG

Peter stands in front of the "Bot House" skeleton for a size comparison!

Then came the covers. Wow - that was a challenge! The wind filled those massive covers like a sail! Not only were we pulling very heavy tarps over the enormous frame of the "Bot House", we had to hold the covers back from the wind! It was a good thing we had a good strong crew! It took everyone's effort to get it done - But we did it!

Before the tent covers could go on, we needed to secure the end wall frame.

495maciejsecuresframe.JPG
495maciejsecuresframe.JPG

Maciej secures an end wall frame to the ribcage.

497endwall.JPG
497endwall.JPG

First the end walls go up - NO easy task!

498thereflecting;ayer.JPG
498thereflecting;ayer.JPG

Then the inner tent liner.

499theinsulatinglayer.JPG
499theinsulatinglayer.JPG

Then the insulation sheets! That will help keep the tent warm - we like warmth!

500bobpullingtentline.JPG
500bobpullingtentline.JPG

Bob helps to pull an insulating layer over the top of the tent.

501bartsecuringline.JPG
501bartsecuringline.JPG

After a massive group wrestle by the entire team to get the final cover - or "blanket" over the tent, Bart helps to secure the lines to a massive concrete block. There were 8 concrete blocks (basically mooring blocks for all you folks near boat yards!) that we secured the tent structure to. It's hard to imagine, but if a good enough wind kicks up - which is entirely possible in Antarctica, the entire structure could be blown away. It's happened before!

502teamendurance.JPG
502teamendurance.JPG

Once again Team ENDURANCE rocks the day!

ENDURANCE now has a home: The Bot House!

You can also check out my journals and pictures from previous seasons at: http://www.ryejrhigh.org/ellwood

Author
Date
Add Comment

Comments