Thank you for your interest in hosting a teacher on your field research project. Your commitment to linking polar research with education is an important contribution to both the research and education communities and the goals of the National Science Foundation (NSF). PolarTREC will use the information you provide in your application to select research projects and teachers that match in interest and availability. If your project is selected, you will be asked to review 5-10 teacher applications and interview the top applicants for your project. We anticipate interviews being conducted in October - November 2015 with final matches being made before January 2016.
Deadline: Tuesday, 8 September 2015, 5:00 p.m. Alaska Daylight Time
If you are unable to meet this deadline or do not yet know about your project's funding, but are interested in applying to host a teacher, please contact the PolarTREC Project Managers (info [at] polartrec.com) to discuss your individual situation.
Before you start the application, please review the following PolarTREC program documentation:
An informational webinar (web seminar), was held Wednesday, 29 July 2015. Teachers and researchers interested in learning more about participating in PolarTREC (Teachers and Researchers Exploring and Collaborating) are encouraged to view the event archive.
The informational webinar gives an overview of the PolarTREC program, its goals and objectives, program components, the application process, and will address frequently asked questions. Feel free to watch the archive video, view the pdf, or listen to audio. Any specific questions submitted by teachers and researchers were addressed at the end of the presentation.
- If you cannot access or have trouble with the online application, please contact info [at] polartrec.com for further instructions.
- Click on the section headings of the application to expand or collapse the section content.
- Use your mouse or the 'Tab' button to move between each field.
- Answer each question as thoroughly as possible. We will contact you if additional information is needed.
- Many of the questions below are longer essay questions. You may wish to download the questions contained in the Microsoft Word document below, fill out your responses and then copy and paste them into the web form.
- If you are applying to work exclusively with a teacher you already know, please read this additional information and jointly complete the Supplementary Questions for Preexisting Teacher – Researcher Teams.
- We prefer that applicants already have secured funding for their research project. However, if your request for funding is pending you can still apply to host a teacher. If this is your case, please contact the PolarTREC Project Managers at info [at] polartrec.com to discuss your individual situation.
- If you would like an email reminder the week before the application period ends, and to be notified of other events and activities related to polar science education, please subscribe to the Polar Education List.
Download the PolarTREC Researcher Application in Microsoft Word Format
If you have any questions, contact ARCUS at info [at] polartrec.com or call 907-474-1600.