Submitted by Anonymous on Sun, 07/29/2012 - 12:19

Hi my name is Alexandra and I"m a student at St.Mark Catholic school in Boynton Beach Florida. I was wondering if the mosquitoes there are out all year or only one month? I liked reading about that journal because it was very intersting to me about how you can stay away from them.

Cristina Solis

Hi Alexandra and everyone in Florida!!Great question!!
The mosquitoes in Barrow are most prevalent during July and August. The remaining months of the year, the temperature is too cold and there is too much wind.
-Cristina

Anonymous

So it looks like the insects are as big a birds. Have they gotten worse since you have been there or are you having trouble dealing with them now? What otehr kinds of insects are living in the tundra during the summer and are they as annoying?Have fun
Steve

Cristina Solis

Hi Steve,Some of the other insects I've seen are flies, bees, and water boatmen insects. The flies and bees are bothersome, but the water insects are not.
We use a sophisticated and highly sensitive machine to conduct our greenhouse gas measurements so when the bugs follow us into the shed where the machine is, it becomes necessary to exterminate the bugs so they don't get caught in the fan and possibly break it or distort the calibration.
-Cristina