Submitted by Anonymous on Wed, 07/11/2012 - 07:43

Hi my name is Alexei and I am from St. Mark Catholic School. I was wondring what you would eat on your trip.

Cristina Solis

Alexei,Thank you so much for writing!!
Food in Barrow, Alaska is very expensive since everything has to be shipped up here on airplanes - there are no roads that connect us to any other cities!! But the food we eat here is very much like other places in the USA. The main grocery store, it's called the "AC," sells frozen pizza, fresh fruit, chicken, beef, candy, and soda. The prices are just a lot higher.
There are also restaurants in the city. There's a sushi restaurant, two pizza places, and a Mexican food restaurant. Actually, Alexei, I did over hear some locals talking today about how they were going to eat some caribou soup at home! Now that's different!
In terms of what I eat personally, it's very similar to what I eat at home. I have cereal and milk for breakfast, but since we're out in the field for lunch, I usually bring something small like granola bars, beef jerky, and an apple. For dinner, I'm very lucky because my researcher, Elliot Friedman, is a great cook and he's made lots of different things for dinner - such as chili, pasta, and curry and chicken!
Thanks for reading my expedition journals and thanks for a great question!
-Cristina