Submitted by Anonymous on Wed, 12/12/2012 - 09:22

Hello, from your small Precalculus class! A couple questions for you:

Does it ever get dark there? It looked like it was sunny at 11pm in the picture. Did you have any second thoughts after the ridiculously long plane rides? How's the food? And how often do they have to ship in food to McMurdo Station?

Also, they want to know if you've met Santa/been to his workshop yet???

Liz Ratliff

Hi!
It doesn't get dark here. Last night, I was up till almost midnight and it wasn't any different than it had been at noon. It was still just as bright. The only thing that changes is the location of the sun - it makes a circle in the sky.
Yeah, the plane rides were pretty long and tiring but, now that I've been here and seen what it's like, I'm really glad I came. This is probably my favorite place in the whole world.
The food is really good here. We have a cafeteria and they serve all sorts of things. Today for lunch, we had beef stew, mashed potatoes, and homemade twinkies and ho-hos. Very yummy. I think I eat better here than I did at home.
I'm not sure how often food gets shipped into McMurdo or South Pole Station. I know that when fresh food comes in, they make an announcement and people go out to help unload the plane. That hasn't happened since I've been here though, but I haven't even been here a week yet.
I actually did see Santa chilling with some penguins in Christchurch in one of the museum's displays. Aside from that, I haven't seen any sign of him. He's probably pretty busy right now.
Thanks for the questions, guys!