Submitted by Anonymous on Sun, 01/02/2011 - 15:35

Hi, my name is Morgan Guymon. I noticed that you posted that there are 37 people currently at WAIS, and I was wondering, are more people going to show up over time, or do some people leave? Thanks!

Heidi Roop

Hi Morgan,Thanks for your question! The WAIS camp population is always in flux. The main body of camp includes 37 people. Often, other science groups will come through WAIS as a stop for hot meals, fuel, and flights. WAIS has a runway for larger planes so groups often leave from WAIS Divide after working at other locations on the ice sheet. We also have different folks that come to camp to repair broken items or conduct safety inspections. Therefore, the number in people can fluctuate by quite a bit. Earlier in the season, when we had carpenters, electricians, and several science groups, our population was over 50 people. Overall, It is always nice to have new people in camp! The more the merrier!
Cheers,
Heidi

Anonymous

I'm Adian I am 5.
How do you stay alive in Antartica?

Heidi Roop

Adian,What a great question! In Antarctica, we have to change quite a bit about our daily lives to stay alive.
The most important things are:
1) wearing LOTS of clothes to stay warm
2) Eating lots of yummy food (I like to eat cookies!).
I hope you are doing well.
Thank you for your question.
Heidi